Test Your British vs American English
As most students of English know, it can be spoken differently in different countries or even in different parts of the same country. The differences are not only in the grammar and pronunciation but also there are differences of vocabulary.
Complete the sentences:
1. In the UK, you eat biscuits; in the US, you eat ...
2. In the UK, you use a rubber; in the US, you use a ...
3. In the UK, you take a lift; in the US, you take an ...
4. In the UK, you go to the cinema; in the US, you go to the ...
5. In the UK, you wear trousers; in the US, you wear...
6. In the UK, you go on holiday; in the US, you go on ...
7. In the UK, you wait in a queue; in the US, you wait in a ...
8. In the UK, you put petrol in your car; in the US, you put ... in your car.
9. In the UK, you drive a lorry; in the US, you drive a ...
10. In the UK, the third season is autumn; in the US, the third season is ...
11. In the UK, you wear a jumper; in the US, you wear a ...
12. In the UK, you eat sweets; in the US, you eat ...
13. In the UK, you live in a flat; in the US, you live in an ...
14. In the UK, you live with a flatmate; in the US, you live with a ...
15. In the UK, you eat chips; in the US, you eat ...
16. In the UK, you eat crisps; in the US, you eat ...
17. In the UK, you throw away rubbish; in the US, you throw away ...
18. In the UK, you throw rubbish in the dustbin; in the US, you throw garbage in the ...
19. In the UK, the back of a car is the boot; in the US, the back of a car is the ...
20. In the UK, the front of a car is the bonnet; in the US, the front of a car is the ...
In this link you will find several lists of vocabulary such as the example:
|Español||British English||American English|
|zapatillas de deporte||trainers, plimsolls||sneakers, tennis/gym shoes|
|albornoz||dressing gown||bathrobe, robe|
|smoking (esmoquin)||dinner jacket||tuxedo|
|sueter de cuello cisne||polo neck||turtleneck|
|jersey, sueter||jumper, jersey, pullover||sweater|
|bañador||swimming costume, swimsuit||bathing suit|
|botas de goma||wellies, wellingtons||rubber boots|
|top sin tirantes||boob tube||tube tops|
|prendedor||hair pin||bobby pin|
|ligero||suspenders, suspender belt||garters, garter belt|
|riñonera||bum bag||fanny pack|
|pinta uñas||nail varnish||nail polish|
There are many British words which are different from American words.
- A lorry is a slimmer truck.
- A lift is an elevator.
- A fortnight is two weeks.
- A chemist is a person who works in a drugstore.
- A dual carriageway is a freeway.
- Here, in this link there are some words in categories to make viewing easier for school work.